Background and Our History

St. Mary’s was originally established by the Weld family at East Lulworth in 1758, where it continued until 1969 when the present building opened at Wool. St. Joseph’s RC Church was built later, next to the school. In September 2012 as a result of school re-organisation within the Purbeck area the school became St Mary and St Joseph’s Primary School.

St. Mary and St Joseph’s is a member of Plymouth CAST, a multi-academy trust comprising of 35 schools situated within the Catholic Diocese of Plymouth. It is a school for boys and girls, providing places for children aged four to eleven in the Wool, Bovington, Lulworth and Wareham areas. Currently there are 178 children on roll. The school forms part of the Purbeck Education Partnership of Schools and is a member of Plymouth CAST East Area Council of schools. Schools within these clusters meet and liaise with each other regularly for the benefit of all of our children.